A place where I can chronicle my family's journey through cancer. A place where WE can discuss our concerns. A place where WE can inspire each other. A place for hope.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Monsters Against Myeloma

CALL TO ACTION!

Anyone who knows me well knows that I am an AVID Lady Gaga fan. She is my mother monster and I, her little monster. She is just... incredible. A force to be reckoned with. So, naturally, when word got out that she was having TWO shows in my city, I lost my shit. GONG to the SHOW. I bought tickets, and that was that! However, shortly after we found out that my mom was planned to undergo an Autologous Stem Cell Transplant close to the date of the concert. This kind of procedure reduces your immune system to nil. To give you some perspective, it is shot down to lower than that of a newborn baby's. It takes about 6 months, on average, for a person to fully recover from a stem cell transplant. So, unfortunately, that meant that I had to give up my tickets for the show. Sold-out concerts and jam-packed venues do not bode well for those wanting to avoid germs... As much as I love my mother monster (Gaga), I love my mama bear the most. I love everything about Gaga. Her music, her fierce independence, her love of life and passionate drive. All this is reflected in her body of work, right down to the sequin placed strategically, and unconventionally, on somewhere like her nose. But as much as I love her, I know she will FOR SURE be touring again in the future. I will have more opportunities to see her do what she does best. So instead of giving away the tickets, I thought, why not create something good from something bad? Thus, the birth of "Monsters Against Myeloma", a contest where a pair of floor tickets to Lady Gaga's August 27 show will be donated to the person(s) who can raise the most money for the MMRF (Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation). Multiple myeloma is a cancer not typically of the young. But the tides are changing. I have seen and heard of people being diagnosed in their 40's (like my mom) and 30's, something that would have been unheard of twenty years ago. I figure, with this contest, not only can we raise money for a good cause, but also awareness. We can raise awareness in a demographic that is unfamiliar with this disease. Encourage and inspire others. When people come up to me, upon hearing about my mom, saddened with the news, I make sure they know not to be sad, but to be angry, to rally together and fight for a cure. Although it is saddening, it is also something we should be fiercely angry about. These rising rates of cancer are NOT acceptable, and we need to make sure the right people know that. Through this contest, I am literally trying to save my mom's life. But not only that, also the lives of all the moms and dads and grandparents, and sons and daughters out there so that they might be able to see their children get married, have kids, and live a life worth living. I have included a link at the bottom of this post to our Facebook group page. Please join, even if you do not want to compete in the contest. Please join to inspire and encourage others to join and spread the word. Who knows, maybe even Gaga herself will get word ;) And if you like, please donate to this great cause. Paws up little monsters, paws up.


PS: If you have any ideas in how to further promote this event, PLEASE share them!

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Am so impressed. You rock Lance.

    Rebecca Weber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and send your story into the local newspaper... they will pick up on it and run with it to help you raise awareness and funds... if not, call the TV station.. one of them will... I sued to work for the news and I would leap on this in a heartbeat - let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooopppp s I meant to say "used" to work... tired ... long day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on it! Television, Radio, Newspapers, Magazines, Nightclubs, Restaurants, Hotels, Hospitals, etc.

    We're going to conquer the world, my friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome work Lance! Maybe one day the Cancer Kickers and Monsters can meet up for a conquering session! :) -Phil

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! What a good little monster you are :) I have a few things in mind for fundraising this summer, as my mom is having her first ASCT July 6th. Thanks for sharing your experiences with MM and your passion for educating the masses.

    -Laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phil: HOLLAAAA! PS: YOU are an inspiration, my friend. Keep Smilin'

    Laura: Thank you :) If you need any help with your fundraiser, let me know! :) (and PLEASE join our FB group!)

    ReplyDelete