A place where I can chronicle my family's journey through cancer. A place where WE can discuss our concerns. A place where WE can inspire each other. A place for hope.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thankful

Sometimes it's good to be just thankful. When I pray, I pray for a variety of things. I ask for my family and friends' health, hope, happiness, safety, and strength. I ask God to watch over us and help us get through our troubles. But sometimes, it's good just to send up your thanks. Even though you are in the midst of a war, it is good to always remind oneself that there is still much to be grateful for. Sometimes when I pray, I just say "thank you". Even though there are many things that I want to ask for, I feel obligated to show my appreciation for the things that I have. I say thanks for the fact that my family was able to share a laugh today, or that the sun was shining and the skies were blue. Because things like that, however small, sometimes matter the most. I say thanks for the fact that my mom has responded well with little side-effects to her chemo, or that we discovered my dad had 90% blockage in his heart before it was too late to do anything. I say thanks just because I am truly thankful. Whenever I do so, I am reminded of the fact that there is still a lot going for us, despite the unfortunate circumstance we find ourselves in. From time to time, it is always good to remind ourselves of why we love life. Why we fight for it. Even though my family has been afflicted with cancer, something that rudely makes you realize the value of life, we still fall into that daze of taking things for granted. Being in the situation we are in, you wouldn't think so right? But, as I have mentioned before, the abnormal becomes the normal, and so with it comes the staleness of a routine that often helps you to forget to smell the flowers and see the world through technicolor goggles. Remind yourselves of what it is that makes you get up in the morning. What are you fighting for? And always remember that just because the world seems dark, it don't mean the sun won't shine anymore. What are you thankful for?
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

2 comments:

  1. "Today let me look for the good in my world and be thankful." I say this with my prayers everyday because it is so much easier to whine about having cancer, having pain, knowing that I may not be here to see my daughter married. When I was healthy and knew no one with cancer, I did not practice gratitude as much as I should have; I still have to remind myself each day how grateful I am to be alive and so many others things that it would be a book to list them all. To have discovered this at your young age is a miracle and I am grateful you have found this.

    Rebecca Weber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca!

    I love that :)

    If you can see the beauty in the little things in life, you'll find happiness

    ReplyDelete